Skip to main content

Perodua Axia upgrade OEM speaker Mohawk M5 series

Perodua in car entertainment is not acceptable

There is one thing that everyone would like to nag about their car and that is sound system. Certainly, speaker is the first item to upgrade because the quality of sound produced rely heavily on them.
Up until one moment that I have enough with the stock speaker because it didn't quite sound clear and crispy then I decided to check on the available speaker to upgrade and more importantly I prefer OEM speaker.

After a long time of survey I have decided to choose Mohawk brand and the series of speakers is M5 


"Not because I like BMW M5 though. Ha ha ha!"


I bought this from a famous car accessories shop in Bukit Mertajam and it retails at RM178 per pair.
So both pair is RM356 and actual price is depend on how you bargain with them.


The type of speaker I choose is 6-inch 2-way coaxial speaker which means this speaker comes with a small tweeter at the centre because I like sound to be crystal clear and crispy.


The speaker build quality is good and the packaging includes a manual specification and QA pass certificate.

"Who really cares about this?"



Installation is by myself as they charge an extra fees if you need their help to install it on your car.


They also have another type of speaker which is mid range where it doesn't have a tweeter speaker and the sound produced is not to my liking.
I have tested both during the time of purchase and frankly speaking, I recommend to choose 2-way speaker as the mid range speaker doesn't have enough power to pump out strong bass although the appearance does look nice and coupled with no tweeter, the sound is very unpleasant to hear.
The shop assistance do recommend me to install the 2-way coaxial at the front and mid range at the rear but at the end I decided to go all the way for 2-way for front and rear.


"Trust me. Don't go for mid range unless you are a person who do not like treble"



After purchase, I immediately perform installation all by myself.
First, start by pulling up the door arm rest panel.
It is just hold on by some clips and some energy is required to open it because it is very tight and I ended up breaking 2 clips.


Then, disconnect the power window switch wires.


Next, undo 2 screws inside the panel and 1 screw on the door latch.


Pry out the plastic clip near the door hinge under the side mirror area.


Then, remove the window sponge strip.


Pull out the door panel secured by plastic slip inside.


Here you can see the speaker and undo 3 screws.


Disconnect the speaker wires.


This is how it looks like for a stock speaker and the build quality is very cheap.


Install the new upgraded speaker and reverse the steps to fix back all things.

This new speaker sound quite good and you can hear the comparison in below videos.


Of course, I admit it doesn't sound as quite as nice like those high end car but for this price it is considered acceptable.
But if you really do need more bass then you may need to spend more than a few thousand and for me, this is not worth for an Axia

Comments