Skip to main content

Perodua Axia aircond low side hose puncture and repair

How to change Perodua Axia low side aircond hose and action to care for your compressor

I have heard a lot of stories of air conditioning compressor for Perodua Axia “kong” or simply malfunction in general term and the good thing is Perodua did cover a 3-year manufacturer warranty for a 1-1 exchange.

But my case here it is truly all my fault because of my carelessness when I’m modifying my BM horn previously and the low-side hose got punched in a hole by the sharp edge of the additional relay mounted on the chassis.



I never considered the side effect when I’m locating the relay and time by time due to knocking and scratching from the vibration of the engine did cause the rubber hose to damage. If you are interested to look into my BM horn modification them please click on the BM HORN AXIA here.

And now I am on a mission to fix this aircond hose all by myself and the first thing is to find a new hose. I have surveyed online and a simple hose like this cost approximately RM100 moreover if I am going to send it to some mechanics then I assume it would cost over RM200.

So, I have to sort out the other way by using some simple pipe joint and since I going to do this then I would like to add in something extra which is a pressure gauge so I can monitor the gas in it from time to time.


“Haha! Genius is it?”


Next step, look into the engine bay to find where is this hose connected to and it is from the compressor into the passenger cabin just in front of passenger side dashboard. 

Just use a no# 10 ratchet to open the screw that inserted into the left side of the 2 hoses on the compressor below the alternator and I promise that it is not easy to remove this screw. I am using an angle extension bar just to reach that screw.

Then, use back the same no# 10 ratchet to open the screw on the hose connected to the back of passenger side dashboard.

Use another no# 10 wrench to remove a screw that securing the hose to the chassis below the brake booster.

From now on, the low side hose is loosened and can be taken out but the route is too complicated as there are many components blocking the route of this low side aircond hose.

By that means, I am doing the following action to remove all screws that is blocking the path from taking out this low side hose and also pulling out some brake lines from its holding bracket.

First, remove the intake resonator on top of the engine by simply pulling it up and then twisting the connection to the air box.

Then, remove 2 screws that securing the air box to the engine body and take out the air box to free up space in order to take out the aircond hose.

Next, completely take out the horn on top of the suspension strut mount and also 3 screws to loosen the ABS motor pump all at the same compartment.


After that, pull out the brake lines from its bracket below the brake booster.

And another brake lines beside the low side hose joint behind the dashboard wall by prying the claw from the bracket

Then route the hose out from the brake lines to the front

At last, gently take out the entire hose by pushing the joint into the engine bay on the left and pulling out the other side at the right of the engine bay. Precaution need to be taken no to damage other components, cables and brake lines. Finally, the entire low side aircond hose looks like this.

Now, I am going to sort out the area for connecting a pressure gauge and equipment required to make this happen which consists of a 10 bar or 150 psi pressure gauge, a T-joint, some clips and extension high pressure hose that all cost slightly more than RM50 except for the T-joint where I need to order this on online shopping apps from China as local hardware shop did not carry such size.

There is a shop where I finally found this T-joint but they are custom made that cost RM60 and lead time for this is 2 weeks.


“What?! Such troubles just for a simple joint?”


So, I have ordered the same T-joint from China at the same day and it took me 2 weeks to reach my home which cost less than RM10.

2 weeks past and at last, all things were gathered together and I took the liberty to assemble all necessary equipment and the point to connect the pressure gauge is the point at the leakage on the rubber hose. 

It’s time to put back that modified hose into its original place and pin point the location to fix the pressure gauge which is next right to the engine body below the mounting.

I would like to say that it is actually not a very difficult task to re-install the hose back to its location although the working space behind the engine is narrow and I need to route through all the cables and hoses but patient and time are the most needed here. Then re-secure all the screws and brake lines back into its spot and bracket. Last but not least, go to refill the aircond gas which cost me RM40 at nearby workshop near my house.

Next, experiment was done to identify the pressure level inside the air conditioning looping system from the newly installed pressure gauge all by myself as I am very curious to know now much pressure it would generates under normal working condition and hence below video is the findings.

So, it is not a compressor story as what you might thought and this may not be the end result that you might be searching for but in this article here, I will share some action to be taken when suddenly you encountering aircond vent is not blowing out cool air in your car.


Here is some advice when you are suddenly experiencing hot air from your car aircond:

1) Check if the A/C button is switched on on the control panel

2) Check whether the radiator fan did kicks in occasionally and listen to the compressor clutching sound

3) If the radiator fan and compressor did not function as intended then immediately turn off the aircond.

4) This is to prevent the compressor from keep on activating as this will damage the unit itself

5) The cabin sensor will detect and maintain cabin temperature but if let’s say gas is emptied then the sensor will keep on telling the compressor not to stop working as the temperature inside is not up to the desired setting level

These advices are taught by my parent and I am very thankful to them. It has been 2 months driving with this repaired aircond low side hose which I feel the aircond is better and cooler than before. Meanwhile, refill gas cost me RM50 due to the whole unit is completely emptied and the mechanics told me that empty system cost extra. 

Thanks for reading and if you anything to say then please feel free to leave it down in the comment section below.

Comments