Skip to main content

Exhaust muffler and resonator replacement for Proton Persona

My car 12 year old exhaust system

Vehicles exhaust system plays an important role to reduce noise from the engine. Some just install aftermarket unit just to look good while some did it for performance. Don’t be fooled by those ricers with extremely loud kapchai sound which for me is very unpleasant to hear and just for show off but speed like a tortoise.
A poorly setup exhaust system not only provide lesser power but will also affect fuel consumption too. General speaking, not all exhaust unit did fit nicely into every types of engine as there are many kinds of aftermarket exhaust systems to look for. Consult the professionals and think twice before really getting a unit for yourself.
One day, I notice my Proton Persona exhaust sound had become very loud like a modified Wiralution with addition of metal knocking sound at the back of my car during movement.


“Prraaanng! Prraaanngg! Prrraaaaannngg!!!”


So, I thought it is just some rubber mounting broken and causing the exhaust housing to hit the car body. Then, I proceed to have some check underneath the bumper and found out the pipe had broken off from the muffler casing facing north of my car.


“Oh my god!!!”




That explains why there is a very heavy metal knocking sound when going through uneven road and considering this car is already 12 years, the other end of casing facing south also rusted and blown with a hole.
 


For temporary solution I have fix the pipe with some cable ties and wait until I get a good mechanic to repair it. What in my mind is just to arc weld it back together as I just want to retain the original muffler as my perception is to maintain everything on my car as stock.

I once had a Perodua Kancil back in the 90’s as a student transportation and I mildly modified it which I now realised that the car performance will deteriorate for some cheap aftermarket part installed due to my little knowledge in automobile aspect. That is the reason for RnD department existence for car manufacturers before they really selling a car into the market as they will test it hundreds of kilometers and thousands of hours with different kind of facilities available. So, as for now I am planned to keep my car as stock as possible or go to modify it all with high-end performance parts but of course will cost a lot too.

Next, I have gone to this shop located at Jalan Kulim in Bukit Mertajam and met with this boss which is very friendly as well as knowledgeable. He given me advice to change the muffler as repairing will not last long and will end up wasting more time and money sticking with the damaged unit. He will ensure that the new aftermarket unit will perform exactly the same as the original muffler and I also wouldn’t mind to ask further about the whole exhaust system replacement if needed. The boss has given me a very practical advice to replace middle unit which is called resonator as the unit will also deteriorate over time.

Then, I have requested to change the whole pipe from the front mounting point after the catalytic converter until the end but unfortunately he also advice me that there is no need to replace the original pipe as the stock pipe is made from a very high quality steel and will last very long before it get broken. At the end, things that needed to replace is the resonator and the back muffler and all of this will cost me RM520 including labour cost. The very next week and without hesitation, I decided to go back to his shop and get it all done in one time and judging by his old looking premise where I would certainly feel ease to let him do his work with his 20 plus years of experience.



First when I reached there, he immediately drove my car in and jack it up. Then he quickly shows me the muffler that I need to be replaced which is the exact copy version of the original muffler and let me choose between various type of resonator. Not all are suitable as it depends on the types of engine and transmission and the resonator for mine is a straight flow without any barrier in it since my Persona is equipped with manual transmission. According to him, generally automatic transmission has a lesser power output and requires resonator with barriers in it to generates back pressure compared to my manual transmission where I am able to harness the power seamlessly. He recommended me this long and round shape resonator with hollow space in it which cost a bit more and guaranteed me that this one will not only provide higher power but also will improve on the fuel consumption.


“OK! Let’s do this…”


The old muffler was taken down very quickly which is just hold on by 3 hooks into the absorber mounting and it reveals the badly broken steel pipe where I can see the condition how it rusted over the years.
 
 
Next step, he removed the remaining steel pipe which is just hold on by 2 screws and let me compare between the 2 units where it both look quite similar.



Then, he installed the new muffler and it all done in just 2 minutes and he also let me compare the muffler size of the Persona to the Gen 2 version which is about a half shorter.



Last, he has taken the new resonator which is about 1/3 longer compared to the stock resonator and gas-cut open both end of the pipe.




Then he fixes in the position of the new resonator and arc weld it back to the pipe.




It’s all done in just 30 minutes! I have paid him and we talked for a final few minutes before I left his shop. I will expect some drop in performance and fuel consumption after installing with this new exhaust as this is not same as the original system anymore but actually I am hope to at least retain the same power output as before.


"God please!"

 
Initial impression after installing with this new exhaust system is the sound is exactly the same as before but now the engine is a bit faster in revving. I also can feel a bit increase in power compared to the previous old exhaust and not only that, fuel consumption also improved by 8% after experienced this new exhaust system for 3 weeks now. No joke and its true!
I had wished to try for some horsepower increase since from the beginning as I was replacing the exhaust system and unfortunately upgrading the exhaust system alone will not gain much horsepower. I perfectly setup exhaust system will only able to churns out additional 3 to 4 horsepower and that also requires high costing pipe but it will not give any difference for normal passenger car with low displacement engine. So, I will just emphasis on the efficiency with low noise for my current system.

I am now feeling happier to drive my Proton Persona with a manual transmission again and have no regrets gone to his shop to change to the new exhaust system. For those who is now having issues with exhaust system then you might consider this man to get the job done for you. Below map contains location of his shop.


Thanks for reading and if you anything to say then please feel free to leave it down in the comment section below.

Comments