Skip to main content

Brake pad and rotor disc replacement for Proton Persona

From replacing brake pad to servicing entire brake system

How are we going to determine the usage of our car brake pad?

When do we know the time to change our car brake pad and to have a major service?

Usually, brake pad wear for car is very hard to observe given its nature of hiding inside the wheel and normally drivers are able to hear the metal squealing sound towards end of its usage.

At common occasion a brake pad should able to last for about 30,000 to 50,000km depending on the condition of the car and how hard we press the brake pedal.

For common sense a bigger car should use larger brake rotor and more pistons as they carry more momentum and thus require more braking force to stop the car.

Same principle applied to fast car as well.

We do not wish to install a Perodua Axia brake system into a Mercedes SL sport car which is capable of doing 280km/h. Do we?

My Proton Persona have reached over 10 yrs of age under my ownership since new and I could remember I have changed my brake pad 3 times in history.

My car's mileage have clocked about 105,000km and I can approximate each lifespan of the brake pad is about 35,000km on my car.

Everytime I will proceed to use the brake pad until the pad is totally used up and producing metal sound of the metal base scratching to the rotor disc.

It not not healthy to do such way but everytime I couldn't hear the squealing sound from the brake pad on my car.


"Strange eh!"

The last brake pad replacement was gone terribly wrong until I discovered it when changing again brake pad last month.

I won't be describe long in this article but instead I will use many pictures to express the problem of my Proton Persona brake system.

So on my car, I consider it to be normal to hear metal scratching sound and it re-appears again last month when I am driving at highway.

The next day when I am free from work, I have driven my car to the tyre service centre to replace my totally worn off brake pad.

First, they dismantled the left side front wheel and the brake pad and it is terribly nonsense to see the brake pad is still full.



Then the right side front wheel was dismantled as well and this time its in the opposite almost finished but still have 15% left.



What most annoying is the metal scratching sound coming from the front brake system and the mechanic suggest maybe it is due to the side wall of the groove on the rotor.

Since this car had entered its 10 years of age and I haven't done anything to the brake system, he recommended me to change the rotor as well.

The rotor disc have too worn deeply as observed on the groove clamped by the brake pad for over 100,000km.



Proton Persona front rotor is a ventilation type with many holes in between the metal disc to assist in cooling.



They requested to exchange my disc with their second hand disc which is also exactly the same and original from Proton parts.

Their rotor disc had completed skimming and standby in case there is customers required to change as skimming process needed 3 hours to be done.

I have verified theirs recycled disc and confirmed that it is original Proton parts from the size, appearance and engraved wording code on the disc body.

Since it is full 1 set replacement with brake pad and rotor disc, why not have the fluid exchanged as well since my brake system have not being serviced for 10 years.

Last, I have requested them to fully flushed the old fuild and do full service on my brake system for a 1 time deal.



Finally, they have installed the new second hand rotor disc and for brake pad I have chosen a good quality Bendix Metal King Platinum brand.



My Proton Persona rear brake is a drum type and the pad still have 50% left and I have never change it since new.



They proceed to do adjustment on the hand brake at the rear drum brake and spray cleaner to remove all the black and dirty dust.


"It is very dirty by the way..."



Flushing all old fluid and replace with new DOT 4 brake fluid.



And now I learned that inside a brake system has a bleeder valve to drain out unwanted brake fluid from the brake system.



After rear was flushed they proceed to the front brake to drain entirely the old brake fluid.



This is same as well for the front brake to have bleeder valve to drain out old brake fluid.



After all of this have completed, they install back the wheels and proceed to test the brake system.

It was not done yet as they tested braking is not effective in my car and experienced some amount of air have escaped into the brake hose.

Once again they flush more and more fluid until tested there is no air inside the brake hose.


"Good service from them. Bravo!"

At last, all was completed and alignment was also done on my car as well and now my car braking feels have come back to perform as good as new.

Cheap thing was never been good and good thing ain't cheap which I have learned through this lesson and do not neglect on our car brake because it is also 1 of the crucial part in our car.

Total damaged listed as below:


  • Brake pad RM165
  • Rotor disc RM120
  • Cleaning and flushing with cleaners and brake fluid RM101
  • Alignment RM25
  • Grand total RM411

There is something extras that I manage to spot during the 2 hours servicing my Proton Persona brake system which is the exhaust muffler have rusted.



I have used my hand to feel the gases blowing out from the broken portion and maybe that explain why my fuel economy is deteriorating for the last 2 years.

And funny stuff as 1 of the mechanic is using fan belt to wrap around his waist as trouser belt.



Please be informed that I did not mean to disrespect but I really salute some people who have further effort to DIY and to try out something different. Haha!

If you need any clarification and have anything to say kindly leave it down in the comment section below.

Comments

  1. Regarding the Proton X50 price, I'm starting to be pretty worried about the proton market and technology...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as of now, Proton X50 will still be CBU and quality will be better than local assembly... rest assured it is safe to buy X50 now...

      Delete

Post a Comment